What was the purpose of the Arena Chapel?
According to the Church, usury (charging interest for a loan) was a sin, and so perhaps one of Enrico’s motivations for building the chapel and having it decorated by Giotto was to atone for the sin of usury.
Who built the Arena Chapel?
Arena Chapel, also called Scrovegni Chapel, (consecrated March 25, 1305) small chapel built in the first years of the 14th century in Padua, Italy, by Enrico Scrovegni and containing frescoes by the Florentine painter Giotto (see photograph).
Who commissioned the last Judgement Giotto?
Enrico degli Scrovegni
Wikimedia Commons contiene file multimediali su Giotto. The Scrovegni Chapel, dedicated to St. Mary of the Charity, frescoed between 1303 and 1305 by Giotto, upon the commission of Enrico degli Scrovegni, is one of the most important masterpieces of Western art.
How many frescoes are in the Arena Chapel?
The remaining walls are covered with three tiers of frescoes: the top tier is devoted to scenes from the Life of the Virgin Mary (to whom the chapel is dedicated); the middle and lower tiers depict scenes from the Life of Jesus; in all, a total of 39 scenes.
Why did Scrovegni Chapel built?
The Scrovegni Chapel was built to atone for the wages of greed but ended up becoming home to one of the great works of Western art. The chapel was built in 1305 by wealthy Italian banker Enrico Scrovegni.
Where are Giotto frescoes?
In the final years of his artistic career, Giotto created a series of frescoes in the church of Santa Croce in Florence. The frescoes were kept in the Peruzzi Chapel and the Bardi Chapel.
Why did Scrovegni commissioned Arena Chapel?
Enrico’s father, Riginaldo Scrovegni, accumulated a large amount of wealth lending money at usurious rates, contrary to the catholic virtue of charity. It is believed that Enrico commissioned the Chapel to expiate his father’s sins and to provide a fitting burial place for members of his family.
Who paid for the Arena Chapel?
The Arena Chapel was commissioned to Giotto by the affluent Paduan banker, Enrico Scrovegni. In the early 1300s Enrico purchased from Manfredo Dalesmanini the area on which the Roman arena had stood. Here he had his luxurious palace built, as well as a chapel annexed to it.