Where is the casting number on a Chevy block?
For CHEVY engines, the block casting number is usually located on a ledge found at the rear of the block and has 6 to 8 digits. This ledge is located near the bellhousing. Sometimes the last three digits of the block casting number are cast into the block on the side.
Where are the casting numbers on a 350 block?
Look at the rear of the engine block for casting numbers, by where the transmission mounts to the engine. There will be at least one set of numbers on the block. If you need to clean up the block to read the number, use the wire brush in combination with the degreaser.
How do you decode Chevy engine casting numbers?
Read the next four digits in the code, which will be all numbers. This refers to the date that the engine was cast. The first two numbers are the month, and the last two are the day. For example, if the numbers read 0107, then the engine was cast on January 7.
Where is the engine casting number?
Some of the most common locations for the numbers to be found are on the sides of the block under the exhaust manifolds, the front of the engine after removing the intake manifold, and the top of the bellhousing flange.
Where are the casting numbers on small block Chevy heads?
Head casting numbers and the head casting date are located under the valve covers, in the rocker arm valley. This block number has been used in many different versions of this aluminum 18 deg and 15 deg Bowtie race head. Different chamber volumes, port volumes, port locations, valve sizes, etc.
How do you read a engine serial number?
Engine Serial Number composition
- the list number or build list, typically 2 to 4 letters followed by 4 or 5 numbers.
- a letter identifying the country.
- a series of numbers showing the build line, also called a serial number.
- a letter indicating the year of manufacture.
How do you tell what year my 350 engine is?
How Can You Tell What Year a Chevy Engine Is?
- Open the hood of your Chevy and locate the engine block.
- Look at both the front face and rear face of the engine block for the block date code.
- Decide which type of date code your block uses, either an alphanumeric or simple numeric code.